Friday, January 29, 2010

Camry/Bad Starter Relay?

1992 Camry/Bad Startet Relay?
I have a 1992 Camry V6. I have starting problems. Nothing happens when turn the key, but have lights & power. It is Intermittent. Even when it does happen it is usually a short time before It WILL start. I have a brand new battery and the ignition switch has been replaced. A few mechnics looked and tested and ruled out the starter and ignition safety switch. General consensus now is the starter relay. Has anyone had a similar problem, replaced a starter relay and wher is it? I was told hard to get to under the dash passenger side.... appreciate any imput
Melisa


According to the manual it looks like it's in the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side by the wheel well.

if it takes 4-5 times to crank the engine over, and it makes no noise before that (or a single "click" from the engine compartment, then your starter solenoid contacts are worn out. It's a common problem with the Denso starters, and can be fixed either with the solenoid contact kit or with a whole new starter. DIYers can replace the contacts for $20 or so, and a starter can be had for $100-150 plus labor. Most shops won't rebuild your starter for you, so don't be surprised if they only want to sell you a starter.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
I ordered a set of contacts from Roger Brown. Of course, with total disregard for the value of my own time, I actually removed my starter, noted the needed style of contacts, and reassembled and reinstalled the starter. The proper parts came promptly, but because I tightened everything up the starter worked fine (and has been working fine for the past year) I suppose my partly worn contacts were just loose. I know I have the parts around somewhere, but It would take at least an hour to dig them up.Don't waste your time like I did, if you are confortable doing this repair yourself, just order one of each (A, B, C & D) for US$19.50 and sell the unused ones back after you do the repair.

Check the connections to the starter. Solenoid wire, red power wire and ground cable for any signs of corrosion. Do the same for your battery terminals. If it looks bad, disconnect, wire brush them and re-assemble with dielectric grease.

Finally, I changed the starter solenoid contacts this weekend. But it was an effort to remove the starter. Had to remove the battery, then the air cleaner and also had to move aside the cruise control. Reused the plunger though after cleaning with a wire brush.

Before you give up on the starter check the battery & battery terminals. A bad (dirty) connection can give you click only situation. Can also be the grounding strap from the battery at the frame. Try a boost on the battery if you don't know how to check battery .

1 comment:

  1. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302817&highlight=starter+solenoid+fry+burn

    ReplyDelete