Thursday, December 10, 2009

Crappy Avalon negative battery terminals




Re: IS it really a dead battery or just the connection??? [stanleymartin] by fin
Oct 19, 2005 (8:00 pm)

Replying to: stanleymartin (Oct 19, 2005 7:32 pm)In years past we have discussed at length in this forum the problem of excessive corrosion around the *negative* battery post in Avalons. Most likely, it is a function of joining different types of metal and electricity. It may also be caused by the ground cable itself. You might try replacing the ground cable, and make sure you clean the negative post completely. Corrosion may occur at the other end of the cable also, but most should be at the battery. The white corrosive material blocks electrical current. A battery that tests "good" still may not have enough power to overcome the corrosion/connection problem and start the car. Try a new battery at the store and see if the car starts easily....it might be the battery. ( My '03 XL is now on the THIRD battery! ) Hope this helps...

Home :: Toyota :: Avalon :: 2001
Toyota Avalon 2001 Complaint
Complaint about ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
LANGHORNE, PA
Consumer Complaint:WHILE DRIVING VEHICLE ON 9/13/02 AT 65MPH, THERE WAS A TOTAL FAILURE IN THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM FOR A SPLIT SECOND. I DISREGARDED IT THINKING THAT IT WAS MY IMAGINATION. HOWEVER, THE VERY NEXT DAY THE ENTIRE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM ON THE CAR WAS DEAD MAKING THE CAR INOPERATIVE. CAUSE: DISINTEGRATION OF NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE TERMINAL END WHICH CAUSED THE NEGATIVE CABLE TO DISCONNECT FROM ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. I HAVE RESEARCHED THIS PROBLEM WITH OTHER TOYOTA OWNERS AND FOUND THAT THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM. FAILURE OF ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS A SAFETY RELATED FUNCTION IN THAT IT COMPLETELY DISABLES THE VEHICLE. NLM
Date of Incident:20020914


http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9e70b/1795?@97.7TKNaOCMgds@

Toyota Quality a Fantasy by padevlin
Sep 22, 2002 (3:30 pm)

First of all, if an electrical connenction fails prematurely in a Toyota vehicle, I guess that I have only Toyota to blame in that they are the manufacturer of the vehicle. I think that is how it works. Furthermore, I have never seen a battery terminal clamp so poorly made and inadequately connected (crimped) on to the end of the cable. I do not live at or near the ocean but close to Philadelphia. The car is always garaged day and night except when in use and maintained very well. I thought; however, in spite of 4 oil changes at the dealership which cost me on average about $30 each except for the Mobil 1 which was about $80 and the supposed 19 point inspection, the dealership failed to inspect the battery cable connections. As a matter of fact, they never checked the air in the tires or any of the other fluid levels in the car. Hmmm. As for the battery cable moving or my using any of the power ports - never happened. This is a definite defective part which requires Toyota's looking into this failure because it leaves the car totally inoperable which smells like a safety defect to me. Now that I know about this defective part, I will most definitely eyeball it every time that I check and replenish the fluids. I didn't shell out over $30K on this car to have to abandon it on the highway somewhere because the electrical system crapped out due to a defective Toyota part. Cliffy, why don't you do some research on this bugger before somebody gets hurt now that you know about it? Any remedial effort on a Toyota employees part would be quite rewarding and refreshing.

#1797 of 3522
reply to padevlin Avalon Battery Posts by highlander7
Sep 22, 2002 (3:56 pm)

padevlin, I checked my wife's Avalon battery posts and see where there is a potential for failure on the negative ground connection. This appears to be a very weak connection, the wires are fed through small holes on the angle bracket that attaches to the battery. These bare wires are crimped over, I can see where a little corrosion may separate the cable from this angle bracket. As soon as you look at this you see the potential problem. This is something to keep an eye on! My 4Runner has a heavy cable that is bolted to the battery terminal connector, the way it should be done. With a 7yr / 75000 mile warranty on the Avalon, I really do not want to change anything but will adapt it to a heavier connection if it begins to fail. Now I need the advise of a mechanic or electrician. Should this connection be sprayed or coated with a anti-corrosion solution? thanks again padevlin, your post and subsequent follow-ups from others may save someone from a battery problem. In the event this connection fails, I will add a #12 wire with alligator clips on each end to my tool kit in the truck of the Avalon. At least I will know what to look for if I lose power.

Toyota Avalon negative battery cable terminal end failure by padevlin
Sep 29, 2002 (6:32 pm)

I previously asked Cliffy1, who is a Toyota employee/enthusiast, if he could find out anything about the failure of the negative battery cable terminal end. This failure is definitely safety related in that when it fails the entire electrical system goes down which disables the vehicle and leaves the driver stranded with no power, no steering and no brakes. And if after dark, obviously left dead in the roadway with no lights at all. Not a very good situation in the middle of an interstate with a 65 mph limit in the middle of the night. I have not seen any response from Cliffy1; I would think that being a Toyota employee/enthusiast you would be able to research this problem and come up with some answers. My dealer's service
Toyota Quality a Fantasy by padevlin
Sep 30, 2002 (4:50 pm)

Thank you one and all for your input. As I mentioned, the main reason that I even posted this problem with the battery terminal end was to forewarn other owners and thereby hopefully prevent them and/or their loved ones from being put in harm's way from the failure of their car's electrical system. I have taken the car to the Toyota dealer; I have had the cable replaced; I have had the battery checked out; I have begun to cast a wary eye on the cables/ends, etc.

Thanks for the replies-I had all but given up and was going to have the vehicle towed to a shop. The wrecker driver removed 2 bolts to the positive clamp(where two wires come together to the clamp)Even though I had dilligently cleaned the external area-these two small metal plates had corrosion where they sandwiched between the two bolts)He cleaned them and the car starts beautifully.Even though I needlessly replaced the starter- I would have needed a starter eventually...It's always the small things I overlook----- Lessons learned............

The cables that goes from your battery itself. The large red one goes to your starter, black one is the ground. Where each one connects may have corrosion in them which keeps the juice from your battery from reaching the starter. You may even have enough to run your acc like radio, int lights, maybe even headlights but, not enough to turn the starter. The accessories and headlights draw between roughly 1-10 amps. A starter draws 150-200 amps.


toyota avalon start up problem by bkgk
Sep 29, 2006 (1:54 am)

I have a 2000 Toyota Avalon xl. I have not had any problems. Yesterday my car would not start. It makes a loud clicking sound and it can't be jumped off. I read in the previous messages that a cable may be bad, but what cable?

#53 of 100
Re: Toyota Avalon 2000 start up problem [alkric] by steve326a
Sep 29, 2006 (4:05 am)

Replying to: alkric (Aug 22, 2006 2:24 pm)The cables that goes from your battery itself. The large red one goes to your starter, black one is the ground. Where each one connects may have corrosion in them which keeps the juice from your battery from reaching the starter. You may even have enough to run your acc like radio, int lights, maybe even headlights but, not enough to turn the starter. The accessories and headlights draw between roughly 1-10 amps. A starter draws 150-200 amps.

1 comment:

  1. Same problem for me!!! Replacing ground with aftermarket today to see if it helps. Lost money on alternators and batteries.

    ReplyDelete