Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Replacing sway bar bushing

Possibly sway bar bushings. I just replaced mine on my 94 and it was doing exactly as you describe. They really are not much to replace. There is a bolt at each end that needs to come off and you just replace it. I went to the junk yard and picked up two off a car with low mileage and the bushings were in good shape. Usually just the back sway bars need replaced. There are two on each side. Try this, jack up the car and grab the tire at 3:00 and 9:00 (right and left) and see if the the wheel moves from side to side. Have someone else do it while you look at the bushing at the end of the sway bar and you will see it move if its bad. If the sway bar is good then it will be solid when you try to move the tire from side to side. The only problem I had when I changed mine was on the inner end of the sway bar. You have to hold the end of the bolt while you loosen the nut and the head of the bolt is in a little like cup and there is not enough room for a socket and rachet and a wrench would not fit in either. I bent the edge of the gas tank up slightly till I got a socket in to hold it.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_could_be_causing_a_rattling_noise_and_sway_in_the_rear_of_a_1995_Toyota_Camry

1 comment:

  1. I've been ignoring the noise for quite awhile. I was told it was loose
    sway bar bushings, not struts. Supposedly, it can be tested by
    loosening the sway bar mounts and wrapping black tape around the sway
    bar and reassembling.

    ReplyDelete